Over the last two weeks, I spoke at Life Church about our need for control. We try to control the people or the circumstances around us. Many of the things we try to control are not ours to control. When our efforts fail, it leads us into a cycle of fear: the more we try to control something, the more afraid we are of losing control. The more afraid we are of losing control, the more we try to control something.
A few key points:
- When we get impatient with God we often will step over God’s promises in an attempt to make something happen.
- Many of the things we try to control really aren’t worth our concern. Will we even remember the situation a month from now?
- Surrendering control is not the same thing as relinquishing responsibility.
- Anxiety, worry, and fear are warning signs that we’re trying to control something that is not ours to control.
- When we surrender control of that which we want most, we will see the miraculous provision of God in our life.
- Key scriptures: Proverbs 3:5-6, Genesis 16:1-4, Philippians 4:6-7
Watch the entire message below:
Question: What areas in your life do you struggle the most with having the need to control? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.